Banana Carrot Cake
We are slowly removing processed foods from our lives. Refined sugar is avoided in this recipe by using carob instead of processed sugar. You can use any sweetener you have on hand such as molasses, jam, date pulp, date juice, applesauce etc.
This recipe is great to make use of the “almost spoiled” bananas that are brownish to black. As they are more sugary, the amount of sugar needed to add to the recipe decreases. If you have bananas that you store in the freezer, this recipe works very well with them too. Just mash them after defrosting.
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder (freshly ground)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Carob Extract (approx. 30 ml)
- 120 ml Plant-Based Milk (oat milk/ almond milk/ soy milk)
- 3 tbsp of Walnut Paste(also known as walnut butter)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ripe Banana (mashed)
- 1 small Carrot (grated)
- 1/4 cup Walnuts (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and grease 6 muffin tins.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, walnut paste, carob extract, vanilla extract and mashed banana well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and be sure to mix it well.
- Add grated carrots and walnuts and mix. Leave a few walnuts for garnihsing the cake.
- Divide the cake mix evenly into the 6 molds you have greased.
- Sprinkle walnut pieces on top and bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- After it cools down a bit, you can remove it from the mould.
- Bon Appetit!
- Any nut paste will work in this recipe. You can use whatever you have (hazelnut, peanut, cashew…). If you have a very thick paste, you may need to add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- If you are on a gluten-free diet, you can also use gluten-free flour mixtures instead of whole wheat flour.
- We used walnuts for decoration, but we got a very nice and crunchy result when oats are used for decoration. We’d say it’s up to your creativity. Good luck to those who try it!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan